UCLA DEPARTMENT OF PEDIATRICS FACULTY
Division Highlights for 1997:
The Pediatric Pain Program launched its pediatric pain fellowship program with its first fellow, Michael Joseph, M.D., former chief resident in pediatrics at UC Irvine. May Tao, M.D., a radiation oncology fellow from Harvard, became a research fellow while she earned an MPH for health services research. She also won an award for her research at the American Society of Clinical Oncology. Edith Chen, Ph.D., completed her doctoral dissertation on a memory intervention of pain in children with cancer, and Dory Glover, Ph.D., was awarded both a Jonsson Cancer Center and an American Cancer Society post-doctoral fellowship.
We initiated a Pediatric Sedation Service. The chronic pain rehabilitation program admitted patients from seven different states, as well as California. The program received a contract from Miller Children's Hospital to help them improve their evaluation and treatment of children's pain.
Pain research continued in the virtual reality (VR) laboratory studying the effects of VR on pain, as well as the effects of acupuncture for chronic pain. Two new psychoneuroimmunology projects began: clinical and immune effects of meditation in ulcerative colitis and effects of yoga in irritable bowel syndrome. Research on quality of life in survivors of childhood cancer continued, including an ethnographic study of risk behaviors in Latino adolescent survivors of childhood cancer. Publications included articles in Journal of Clinical Oncology, Cancer, Journal of Behavioral and Developmental Pediatrics, Journal of Health Psychology, and others, as well as three chapters and one monograph on pediatric pain (Current Problems in Pediatrics).
The program helped Beakman's World (Tristar Pictures) create a video for children on how the mind works to reduce pain, and is assisting filmmaker Vanessa Roth to develop a movie for PBS on chronic pain in children. We participated in the Technology Tent at the Clinton Inauguration with an exhibit on computer distraction for pain control in children.
ZELTZER, LONNIE K.
|Faculty Member Since:
||MD, University of Cincinnati
BA, Douglas College/Rutgers University
||Professor (Departments of Pediatrics and Anesthesiology)
||Developmental psychobiology of pain in children
Methods of blocking pain transmission
Neurologic and psychological outcomes in survivors of childhood cancer
|Current Grant Support:
||1997-00 American Cancer Society
1997 Foundation for Pediatric Holistic Health Research
1996-98 National Institutes of Health, NRSA
1996-97 Starbright Pediatric Network
1995-97 National Institutes of Health, University of Minnesota Subcontract
1995-99 NIH, CRC #507
1993-98 NIH Collaborative Study
1993-97 William T. Grant Foundation
1996-98 Miller Memorial Children's Hospital
1996-97 American Cancer Society (2 awards)
1997-98 UCLA Psychoneuroimmunology Program (2 awards)
1997-98 Jonsson Cancer Center Foundation
||Doctoral Dissertation Committees (Psychology, Nursing)
Clinical Supervisor, Pediatric Pain Fellows
Pediatric Pain Clinic Rotation Supervisor
Pediatric Pain Clinical Practicum Supervisor
Clinical Supervisor, Anethesiology Pain Fellows
Research Supervisor, Joint Center for Radiation Therapy, Harvard Medical School
Pediatric Resident Noon Conference Series, Long Beach Miller Memorial Children's Hospital
Student Research Program
||Associate Director, Patients and Survivors Division, Prevention and Control Research Branch, UCLA Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center
Director, Pediatric Pain Program, Departments of Pediatrics and Anesthesiology, UCLA School of Medicine
Director, Pediatric Pain Fellowship Program
Psychoneuroimmunology Task Force, UCLA School of Medicine
Health Committee, Medical Staff, UCLA Center for Health Sciences
Academic Promotions Committee, Department of Pediatrics
Ad-hoc Committees on Academic Promotions, UCLA School of Medicine
Full member, Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center, UCLA
||Consultant, Video on children's pain, Beakman's World, Tristar Pictures
Consultant, Behavioral Dentistry, Division of Pediatric Dentistry, School of Dentistry, University of Washington, Seattle
American Pain Society
Western Society for Pediatric Research
American Pediatric Society
International Association for the Study of Pain
Los Angeles Pediatric Society
American Psychological Association, Section on Clinical Child Psychology, Section on Pediatric Psychology
American Society of Clinical Oncology
International Society of Pediatric Oncology
Society for Pediatric Research
Society for Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics
Society for Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis
American Academy of Pediatrics
Society for Adolescent Medicine
Moderator, Pain and Sedation Section, Society for Pediatric Research annual meeting
Psychosocial Research Committee, California Division, American Cancer Society
Task Force on Pediatric Pain, American Pain Society (APS)
Research Committee, Society for Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics (SDBP)
Council on Research, International Association for the Study of Pain (IASP)
Expert testimony to Los Angeles and Ventura County Councils - Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy
Astra Pharmaceuticals, Visiting Professor Lectures
Guest Editor (with N. Schechter), special issue on pediatric pain (J Dev Beh Pediat)
Editorial Board, Topics in Pain Management
Editorial Board, Journal of Pediatric Psychology
Editorial Board, Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics
Reviewer, Journal of Adolescent Health
Reviewer, Developmental Psychology
Reviewer, Journal of Pain and Symptom Management
Reviewer, Journal of the American Medical Association
Reviewer, Psychological Bulletin
Reviewer, The American Journal of Clinical Hypnosis
Reviewer, International Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis
Reviewer, Child Development
Reviewer, Health Psychology
Reviewer, Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology
Reviewer, Journal of Clinical Oncology
Reviewer, Journal of Pediatrics
Reviewer, American Journal of Diseases of Children
- Bursch B, Walco G, Zeltzer L. Responsiveness and chronic pain: clinical evaluation and treatment, Part II. J of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, in press.
- Chen E, Zeltzer LK, Bentler, PM. Pathways linking treatment intensity and psychosocial outcomes among adult survivors of childhood leukemia, Journal of Health Psychology, in press.
- Dolgin MJ, Blumensohn R, Mulhern RK, Sahler OJ, Roghmann, Carpenter PJ, Sargent JR, Barbarin OA, Copeland DR and Zeltzer LK. Sibling adaptation to childhood cancer collaborative study: Cross-cultural aspects. Journal of Psychosocial Oncology, 1997; 15:1-14.
- Hyman PE, Bursch B, Beck D, DiLorenzo C, Zeltzer LK. Discriminating Munchausen syndrome by proxy from chronic intestinal pseudo-obstruction, J of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, in press.
- Tao ML, Guo MD, Weiss R, Byrne J, Mills JL, Robison LL, and Zeltzer LK. Smoking in adult survivors of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia. J of the National Cancer Institute, in press.
- Tao,M, Zeltzer PM, Zeltzer LK. Cancer: children and survivors. In M Green, RJ Haggerty, Weitzman,M (Eds), Ambulatory Pediatrics, Edition V, Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Co., in press.
- Zeltzer L, Bursch B, Walco G. Responsiveness and chronic pain: a psychobiological perspective, Part I. J of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, in press.
- Zeltzer L, Bush J, Chen E, Riveral A. A Psychobiologic approach to pediatric pain: Part I. History, Physiology and Assessment Strategies. Current Problems in Pediatrics, 1997; 27:6:221-260.
- Zeltzer L, Bush J, Chen E, Riveral A. A Psychobiologic approach to pediatric pain: Part II. Prevention and Treatment. Current Problems in Pediatrics; 1997; 27:2:261-292.
- Zeltzer L, Chen E, Weiss R, Guo M, Robison L, Meadows A, Mills, Nicholson, Byrne J. A Comparison of Psychological Outcome in Adult Survivors of Childhood Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia Versus Sibling Controls: A Cooperative Childrens Cancer Group and National Institutes of Health Study, Journal of Clinical Oncology, 5(2), 1997; 547-556.
- Zeltzer LK and Feldman S. Soothing and chronic pain. In Lewis M and Ramsey D (Eds.), Stress and Soothing, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc., Mahwah, N.J., in press.
- Zeltzer LK. The essence of hypnotherapy with children. Review of Olness K and Kohen D, Hypnosis and Hypnotherapy in Children, 1997; 14(6): 381-383.
- Zeltzer LK. 2nd Annual Symposium on Pediatric Pain, Scott and White Memorial Hospital, "Children Versus Painful Medical Procedures: Applying Psychological Interventions," Workshop, Austin TX, 1997.
- Zeltzer LK. American Academy of Pediatrics Current Advances in Pediatrics, "Management of acute pain in children," "Chronic pain in adolescents," "Use of fantasy in childhood," Newport Beach, CA, 1997.
- Zeltzer LK. American Academy of Pediatrics Spring Session, "Behavior Approaches to Pain Management in Office Practice," San Diego, CA, 1997.
- Zeltzer LK. American Pain Society, "Complex chronic pain syndromes in adolescents," New Orleans, LA, 1997.
- Zeltzer LK. California Hospital, "Pediatric pain assessment and management," one-day series of lectures, Los Angeles, CA, 1997.
- Zeltzer LK. Grand Rounds, Hackensack Medical Center, Department of Pediatrics, "Visceral Pain in Children," Hackensack, NJ, 1997.
- Zeltzer LK. Grand Rounds, University of California at Irvine, "Chronic Visceral Pain in Adolescents," Irvine, CA, 1997.
- Zeltzer LK. Hackensack University Medical Center, Developmental-Behavioral Disorders, "Pain Management for the Pediatrician," Invited Workshop, Hilton Head Island, SC, 1997.
- Zeltzer LK. Hackensack University Medical Center's Advances in Pediatrics, Developmental-Behavioral Disorders, "Chronic Visceral Pain in Children," Hilton Head Island, SC, 1997.
- Zeltzer LK. International Symposium on Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders, "Chronic Visceral Pain: The Roles of Memory, Coping Style, and Arousal in Chronic Visceral Pain," Milwaukee, WI, 1997.
- Zeltzer LK. Presidential Inauguration Technology Exhibit, "Bridging Computer Technology with Human Biology," Washington D.C., 1997.
- Zeltzer LK. Scott and White Memorial Hospital, "Development of Chronic Pain in Children," "Psychological Interventions in the Management of Pain in Children," "Ethics of Pain Management of the Terminally Ill Child," 2nd Annual Sumposium on Pediatric Pain, Austin, TX, 1997.
- Zeltzer LK. Society for Behavioral and Developmental Pediatrics, "Hypnotherapy in children," Three-day workshop, Boston, MA, 1997.
- Zeltzer LK. The American Society of Pediatric Hematology-Oncology, "Pediatric Pain," San Francisco, CA, 1997.
- Zeltzer LK. Third International Congress in Pediatric Pain, "Psychological interventions for pain management in children," two-day workshop, Helsinki, Finland, 1997.
- Zeltzer LK. Third International Congress on Pediatric Pain, "Psychobiology of chronic pain," Helsinki, Finland, 1997.
- Zeltzer LK. University of Iowa and Society for Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis, Strategies for Pain Management, "Pediatric pain," Washington, D. C., 1997.
- Zeltzer LK. University of Puerto Rico, Visiting Professorship: "Acute and Chronic Pediatric Pain" and "Pain in HIV," San Juan/Ponce, Puerto Rico, 1997.
- Zeltzer LK. American Academy of Pediatrics Current Advances in Pediatrics, "Hypnotherapy for pain and its uses in children," 1997.
- Zeltzer LK. Grand Rounds, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Department of Pediatrics, "Psychological interventions for pain management in children," 1997.
- Zeltzer LK. Grand Rounds, Childrens Hospital of Los Angeles, "Research in pediatric pain: what have we learned?" 1997.
- Zeltzer LK. Grand Rounds, Childrens Hospital of Los Angeles, Division of Adolescent Medicine, "Chronic pain in adolescents," 1997.
- Zeltzer LK. Grand Rounds, UCLA Department of Pediatrics, "Pain-associated disability syndrome in adolescents," 1997.
- Zeltzer LK. Grand Rounds, UCLA Division of Child Psychiatry, Department of Psychiatry, "Chronic pain in adolescents," 1997.
- Zeltzer LK. Robert Wood Johnson Medical School Symposium on Stress and Soothing in Children, "Soothing and Pain," New Brunswick, NJ, 1997.